[AZ-Observing] Re: Great weekend, two nice comets, lots of MilkyWay

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, amastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 17:04:09 -0700

Now that I've got home, unpacked and caught up on my sleep . . . to add
to Steve's report, both comets were a surprise to both of us as we
thought the show was over.  But no!  It was still at a high point.
Comet NEAT displayed a nice tail that was even more enhanced by my newly
purchased comet filter.  We saw nice filamentary structure in its tail.
These surprising views support the  statements we've heard over the
years about comets to the effect that they can always surprise us with
unexpected stunning views.

While Steve mentioned the view of the Veil, it was the ability of the 4
inch refractor to show the entire eastern part.  We were also able to
view NGC4631 at 300X in the 14 inch; there was just to much detail to
make a drawing that was close to what we were able to see.  Just for
grins we also viewed with the UHC.  Some of the fainter parts of the
galaxy were lost, but not many, there were innumerable bright regions
that showed up.

Yes, we enjoyed the observing session and hope for more,
aj