[AZ-Observing] Grand Canyon Night 4

  • From: ketelsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:26:13 -0700 (MST)

Hi All-
After some clear skies but breezes on saturday, and two nights of variable
clouds, last night (tuesday), was truly legendary...  Beautifully clear,
calm, warm, and excellent seeing.  Usually when there is no wind at all
the seeing is pretty variable, but last night Jupiter showed such
exquisite detail...  The disks of the moons were clearly resolved.  In
fact, I didn't think till on the way to the campground that I should have
tried resolving Vesta, which we located early.  I had to touch up the
collimation on the C-14 a bit to take advantage of the seeing.  We had
huge crowds early - 279 looked thru my scope by about 10:30 when everyone
but the astronomers left.  They were all treated to a -9 Iridium flare too
at 9:30.  Hopefully more of the same tonight.

-Dean