[AZ-Observing] Re: Goto Declaration on MM Award

  • From: PHXJeff@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 19:14:31 EST

To push the envelop, why not also consider an award for the most Messier
images, film or CCD. Anyone who has taken CCD images of faint deep sky
objects knows it is not an easy matter. I suspect even with the GOTO
scopes it would be a real challenge.

While I have spent many hours taking CCD images of deep sky and not so
deep sky objects, I doubt I could get more than a dozen in an evening.

This might also help push the amateur CCD world. It's a different
challenge, but no less satisfying. I recall one of my first attempts to
image M1 and being absolutely blown away by my B&W CCD image of M1. I
could not see it in my C8 from my backyard observatory in Phoenix, but it
did show nicely as a CCD image. It only took about 4 hours to get it (not
exposure time - just my time to find it, focus and grab it).

Jeff

                          Jeff Hopkins
                            HPO SOFT
    Phoenix, Arizona                      Atlanta, Georgia
  7812 West Clayton Drive               12170 Boxwood Circle
Phoenix, AZ 85033-2439 U.S.A.        Alpharetta, GA 30005 U.S.A.
   (623) 849-5889 (Fax)               (770) 619-3322 (Phone/Fax)

www.hposoft.com & amug.org/~hposoft    dataman.home.mindspring.com
                        4th Dimension Partner
                        FileMaker Pro Expert

   BASIC/C++ Programmer & Web Site/e-commerce Site Development
Over 25 years of Computer, Programming and Database Development Experience