[AZ-Observing] Re: Gamma Virginis

  • From: "Workman, Brian (AZ76)" <brian.workman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 14:41:16 -0700

If I've done my math right, the Soderhjelm orbital elements (from 1999),
which Mr. Taylor claims are the most recent, yield a minimum apparent
separation date of May 15/16. Note that this is not the true periastron date
which is about 26 days earlier. The inclination of the  orbit with respect
to our line of sight causes a difference in the true and apparent separation
distance of the two stars.

It will be interesting to see if and how data from this event will refine
the orbital elements. Minimum apparent separation of .35 arc seconds is too
tight for the capabilities of my 'scope.