[AZ-Observing] Re: Fwd: Tom Johnson RIP

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, haclist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 05:20:31 GMT

Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244 Hi Gene, Thanks for the message. I'm very sorry to hear of
Tom's passing. I recall meeting and talking to him a once or twice at the RTMC.
It seems like he flew his private airplane into Big Bear Airport to give his
talk to the attendees. He will certainly be remembered as one of the biggest
influences on amateur astronomy. Unfortunately, he made his telescopes so good
and so inexpensively that it negatively impacted the amateur telescope making
(ATM) faction of the hobby, but hopefully it encouraged the innovators in the
hobby to do him one better.
Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)