[AZ-Observing] Fwd: Re: Venus transit

  • From: Mark Wainright <mwainright@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 09:19:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Thought the list might find these TRACE images and animations of the Venus
transit interesting.  There is an AZ connection, too.  :-)

Enjoy,
Mark
To: venus-mail@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Venus transit
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 09:05:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: (Landon Curt Noll)

Hello,

I thought you might enjoy this bit of work on the images that came
in from TRACE that Glenn Schneider (who heled lead the 2003 Antarctica
eclipse flight) did on the Transit of Venus:

http://nicmosis.as.arizona.edu:8000/ECLIPSE_WEB/TRANSIT_04/TRACE/TOV_TRACE.html

Glenn also did an experiment at Kitt Peak to spectroscopically detect the
transit from sunlight reflected off of the Moon. He said:

The moon "saw" the transit 5 hours after the Earth did -
and the Moon was up high enough in the sky from Arizona
shortly before morning twilight. By looking at the lunar
surface (in a couple of hundred independent spectroscopic
channels) the light seen in reflection originates from the
WHOLE sun, so it is similar to light from an unresolved
point source (i.e., a distant star) - and I am looking to
see if absorption from allotropic sulfer by the Cytherian
atmosphere could be detected (as a tiny signal) in the solar
spectrum. Time will tell.

Very cool if it works out!

chongo () /\oo/\