[AZ-Observing] Fw: Scout Troop in Young, AZ, Needs Astronomy Badge Help

  • From: Brent A Archinal <barchinal@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 21:09:39 -0700

Just forwarding this message from my wife and the Coconino Astronomical
Society.  As she notes, please contact the original requestor directly if
you can help out.  I'll add that the ranch described looks like it might
be a good remote dark sky location for group observing, so helping out
with their program and checking out the site might be a good idea.
- Brent

= = = = = = = = = =

Hi Everybody!

Here's an opportunity to encourage young people to get interested in
astronomy.

I talked to Caryn about having someone help her scout group (see below).
 She neglected to give the date, but it's Friday night, May 22, which is a
new moon time frame (CAS observing is Saturday, May 23).  They should be
arriving about 1, as the kids have other badges like archery to earn
during the day.  Which also gives time to teach her about their donated
'scope.  She didn't say anything about dinner Friday, so you might want to
ask.

She told me it's about 3 hours from Phoenix or Flagstaff.

A room in the lodge (value about $400) is available free for that evening
for whoever can do this.

If anyone can do this please contact her directly, but I would appreciate
a quick email to let me know someone has accepted, just in case anyone
asks.  info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you!

JoAnne Archinal
Secretary