[AZ-Observing] Fun at Five Mile Meadow

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 17:21:48 -0700

Howdy all;

Well, it was not the best weekend of observing from the Rim Country that we
have ever had, but it was a fun chance to get out of town.  I was fortunate
enough to get out of town on Wednesday and it was the best night of the four
evenings I observed from the spot near Happy Jack.  I know that is a
cliché??you should have been here yesterday??but I promise it is the truth.

Even though the earthly clouds and the star clouds kept occupying the same
part of the sky, there was plenty of clear sky to see in the west.  I have
notes from Bootes, Hydra, Virgo, Draco and Canes Venatici.  Lots of fun
stuff.

I counted 25 telescopes set up for Saturday night and even though it was a
mushy night, it was fun.  David?s ?new? 32 inch scope has some mechanical
and electrical problems, but we managed to push it around for some excellent
views of the Whirlpool, Ring and M5.  Lots of great detail to see in any of
those at 175X or so.

At the other end of the aperture spectrum, I had a nice view of M 11 in
Beevo?s little Meade 80mm refractor.  Maybe we can get lucky and get a break
in the clouds for next month, we shall see.

Clear Skies;

Steve Coe