[AZ-Observing] Flatiron last night

  • From: "Paul Lind" <pulind@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 09:05:00 -0700

Definition:  Flatiron -"An iron for pressing clothes, especially one that is
heated externally, as on a hearth or stove."  Oh well, someone forgot to heat
the flatiron last night.  It was a cold 32 degrees and breezy, but very clear.
Four hearty souls showed up for the star party. Joe Goss, myself, Andrew
Goodwin, and Beevo (I think it was Beevo, my eyes were all teared up).  Joe was
logging some Herschel II objects, so I tried some in my 14".  It was quite
transparent and 13 mag galaxies were almost bright.  Here are some of my
observing notes:
Gear:
    Long underwear
    T-shirt
    hooded sweatshirt
    heavy coat
    ski bib
    Peruvian mountain hat
    snowmobile boots
    pull-back fingertip gloves.
Temp:  9:30 pm,  32 deg F according to Joe
Sky:  Transparent, Seeing+? Saturn fuzzy but low, improved later

NGC890: 12 mag  E,G S,F,sbM,irreg?  192x

NGC1035  13.1 mag gal  vE,F,not bM, near  1045, 1052, 192x

NGC1045  13 mag gal  L,R,dif,not bM, very low surf brightness, 192x

NGC1052 11.4 gal  S,B,mbM 192x

M1  Crab,  real nice,  mottled, some stars seen embedded, 192x

Pierre's 1 sec doubles in Orion.  Well separated at 360x and 12" aperture

Packed up at 10:30,  real cold

Paul Lind