[AZ-Observing] Re: Fireball at 9:45 pm, July 3rd

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 16:17:01 -0700

Well if that's the way it looked from Fort McDowell, then it probably is
in the Superstitions as Sam suggested. I saw it from close to 28 miles
NW of you, and described about the same lateral trajectory. It must have
entered the atmosphere to the SW of your local zenith. A quick trig calc
tells me it became visible at altitude of 15 miles. Seems a bit low, but
it depends a lot on speed and composition. And it did seem to be
slow-moving, compared to other fireballs I've seen. And since Don was
closer, and also reported it as slow-moving, my guess about
"foreshortening" is probably wrong. It probably had a more easterly
trajectory. Now if we could just get a third observation from south of PHX.

-Dan