[AZ-Observing] Fantastic IIS / Shuttle Pass Tonight

  • From: "Jimmy Ray" <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:10:42 -0700

Just came in from watching the now separated IIS and Endeavour fly by. As
they came into view it was quite obvious that they were still in a fairly
tight formation (about 45 Arc min or so). Their max elevation was about 30
deg. As they first appeared above the southern horizon the dimmer Endeavour
appeared to be quite close and slightly west of the ISS. As they passed by
to the east one could see the Endeavour trailing behind the ISS at the
previously mentioned separation distance. Very exciting. My apologies to the
group for not giving a heads up but I found out just moments before the
flyby.
Tomorrow night the Jules Verne cargo vessel, ISS and Endeavour will fly by
in fairly close succession and be much higher in the sky. Phoenix area data
below:

25 Mar 08 20:01:55 / Jules Verne / Rising WSW / 72 deg max elevation
25 Mar 08 20:06:17 / ISS - Shuttle / Rising WSW / 62 deg max elevation

Endeavor will probably be trailing fairly far behind by tomorrow but is a
sight that rarely disappoints.

Happy viewing,

Jimmy Ray