[AZ-Observing] Re: Discovery Channel Telescope Site Report and Pictures

  • From: "Tom Polakis" <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Reply-To:az-observing"@freelists.org
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:48:13 -0600

Brian Skiff wrote:

> be done to find another similar spot in the area.  Several of the small
> cinder cones within a few miles radius have roads leading to them.
> An example is Hutch Mountain, which has a very nice _graded_ road to
> the summit area, and which offers better protection from winds at the
> expense of a somewhat restricted horizon (what good views do you get
> down low anyway [besides comets] ?).  Hutch is also 1000 feet higher,
> around 8500 feet at the summit.

I would insist on a clear view to the south, particularly one that shows
all of Scorpius and Sagittarius.  I observed at Hutch Mountain with Brian
and Chris and Dawn Schur many moons ago, and remember a night with good
seeing and a brisk, steady wind out of the southwest.  And the view from
the summit showed the southern Milky Way nicely.

This slide seriously needs to be re-scanned, but here's a fisheye view
from the summit of Hutch Mountain.

http://www.psiaz.com/polakis/nightastro/hutch.jpg

Tom