[AZ-Observing] Deep Impact - from Dewey, AZ

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, amastro <amastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 14:09:20 -0700

Almost at the last minute I decided to go up to Stan Gorodinski's at
Dewey, AZ.  There was a nice crowd of about 20 folks there.  In the
14.5-inch f5.2 at 60X the comet was initially found by Lynn Blackburn
near a nice triangular pattern of stars.  The comet was about 5' in
diameter, 12th mag and darned difficult to find!  It didn't respond to
the Swan Band filter but had a very gradually little brighter middle.
Going to 140X improved the image.  At about 06:05UT July 4th, Lynn
announced it looked a little brighter.  Bob (unknown last name), Frank
and myself agreed.  A couple of minutes later (sorry I didn't record the
time) an unmistakable stellar nucleus was easily seen. I tried
defocusing to compare the magnitudes of the triangular grouping of
stars.  They all seemed brighter than the comet.  I judged the comet to
brighten by about 1/2 magnitude but didn't see any change in size.  At
06:27UT Sherly felt it easier to see now than when first seen.  The
comet never responded to the Swan Band filter.  During this time period
the comet moved several diameters.

Sounds like all have a good time watching this unique event.

Clear skies,
AJ Crayon