[AZ-Observing] December Star Party

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 15:16:20 -0700

I noticed a paragraph in the latest SAC Newsletter regarding the star
party at the Arizona Horse Lovers Park last month. What wasn't noted
was that while there were 5 telescopes set up only 3 visitors arrived
all evening. I think there was a sever lack of communication to the
public about the star party. It was a beautiful evening and fully
expected crowds. The location seems excellent for being within the
Phoenix area. Lots of space and a great view with fairly dark skies
(a good as could be that close to central Phoenix).

While it was fun it was also sad that so few visitors showed up. I'd
like to see another star party there, but with better community
notification. Notification via flyers is fine, but far from adequate.
Local radio and even TV stations should be notified, They can make
announcements as part of their free public service.

Jeff

--
Jeff Hopkins
HPO SOFT

  Small minds speak about people * Average minds speak of events
************   Great minds speak of ideas!    ****************