[AZ-Observing] Daytime Comet McNaught observation

  • From: <sam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:15:22 -0700

I just (approx. 1835 UT, 11:35 a.m. MST) caught a quick glimpse (10 seconds
or so) of McNaught in 18 x 50 binoculars. I used the side of our house to
block the Sun and started scanning the sky about 5 degrees east of the Sun.
This was a midly unsettling process because of the danger of getting too
close to the Sun. I recommend using extreme caution for anyone else who
attempts this because you don't want to ruin your eyes by catching the
un  --- > the view of the comet isn't worth it, especially with what I saw.
I could see about 3 - 4 coma diameter's worth of the tail, before the clouds
obscured the view. There was another break in the clouds a bit later but I
couldn't re-locate the comet before the, now almost contiguous, layer of
clouds came in. Still, it was pretty cool to be able to see this in the
daytime. I will try tomorrow with a telescope on equatorial mount that I can
more precisely control the position. Anyone else have a chance to try to
spot this in the daytime?

Sam Rua
Tucson