[AZ-Observing] David Levine

  • From: ketelsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: taaaforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 13:34:43 -0700 (MST)

I've some bad news for all you TAAA old timers.  Last night, 9 November,
David Levine lost his battle with leukemia.

David was an anesthesiologist in the Denver area who retired with wife
Elinor to the Green Valley area about 25 years ago.  Back when I was TAAA
president he always made himself available to help out for newsletter
folding, when we needed a scope for a school star party, and was a
dependable resource through the early years of the Grand Canyon Star
Party.  On many of their long observing trips, he was well known for
traveling with their cats Nic and Tyc (Nicolas Copernicus and Tycho
Brahe).  Back about 15 years ago they left the development of Green Valley
and built their "dream house" in the hills south of Alpine in West Texas.

I last saw him in August on my latest return from the Midwest, and while
you could see he was tired, he was still active, back to playing golf
after an extended break, and his eyes still twinkled when we discussed
observing.  He was optimistic that the doctors were finally getting his
chemo doseages right and talked about a trip to Tucson for a visit that
never happened.  I will miss him a lot, as will anyone else who knew him
or shared a conversation in the dark...

-Dean