[AZ-Observing] Conjunction Photo

  • From: "Jon Christensen" <jonc97@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:22:10 -0700

When I went to the event at the Riperian area Saturday night I really hadn't
considered taking a photo of the conjunction.  Later that night after seeing an
amazing view of all 3 planets at the same time in a dobsonian, I thought I
would try to get all 3 planets in one shot.  I decided to constrain myself to
not doing a mosaic of different exposures for each planet due to brightness
differences and to apply all adjustments globally across the whole picture in a
meager attempt to approximate the incredible view I got visually through the
scope.
Yesterday I lugged my setup down to Vekol where I knew I wouldn't be bothered
by street lights or stuff on the horizon.  Mercury and venus were so bright
they still saturated my chip and there are some camera readout gradient issues,
but I enjoyed the challenge.

The photo is at the top of my planets page.

http://members.cox.net/jonc97/planets.htm

I posted 3 sizes of the image.  Click the 'view 2544x1042' link to see the full
sized image.  Use the scroll bar at the bottom of the page to shift to the
right and see venus and mercury.  The image is only 46kb in size so it will
load in no time.

Thanks for looking!

Jon Christensen