[AZ-Observing] Re: Comet from Happy Jack Last Night

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 11:53:49 -0500

---- Jeremy Perez <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The view makes me think of a
> mesmerizing tank of jellyfish on display at the Aquatic Center in
> Maui. The jellyfish were lit by a blue light, that made them appear
> completely alien and beautiful. The comet reminded me of one of those >
> glowing jellyfish tonight.

Jeremy,

That's a great comparison.  I think they are called moon jellyfish.  They were
on display at the new Atlanta Aquarium.  I did not get a very good picture of
them...

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/image/65862544/original

...so here is a better one, complete with a foreshortened fan tail.

http://www.n-the-florida-keys.com/images/moon-jellys-florida-keys.jpg.jpg

Tom