[AZ-Observing] Comet SWAN

  • From: Mark Wainright <mwainright@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:32:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

  Our family enjoyed Comet SWAN from Vekol Rd. last night (10/25).  I wanted to
get someplace with a dark western horizon.  Comet SWAN did not disappoint.
With the naked eye I could see the coma and about 1 degree of tail.  I thought
the brightness was closer to mag 5 than mag 4.  The view through 15x70
binoculars was the best, a big, fat coma with some wispiness in over 2 degrees
of visible tail.  Through an 8" SCT at 77x the coma was over 20 arcmin with a
bright central condensation.

  Clear skies,
  Mark