[AZ-Observing] Comet McNaught 1/12

  • From: Frank Kraljic <fjkraljic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:45:09 -0700

After reading numerous posts, I drove to east Scottsdale for a clear
view of the comet this evening over the city.  Just after 6pm, the
comet's nucleus and >1 degree tail was surprisingly naked eye
visible.  With 20x100 binoculars, the tail had a smooth gradient in
brightness extending beyond 1 degree, but slghtly brighter along its
sides.  The coma was very lumonous and appeared in the shape of a
tight comma arcing toward the horizon and into the tail.  I don't
know if this was my imagination, the astigmatism in my eyes, or a
legitimate feature.  I quickly snapped a couple haphazard shots with
a Canon 20D at 300mm as the comet neared the horizon.  I posted the
best picture at: http://www.pbase.com/solomonshort/image/72946750

-FRANK