[AZ-Observing] Re: Comet Lulin

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, haclist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 02:21:27 GMT

15480 Empire Rd.
Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244
Hi All,
Before the high thin clouds could build up too much and just before moonrise
last night (Sunday/Monday) at about 12:30am AZ local time I located Comet Lulin
with my 10x50 binoculars in the same field of view with the bright star Spica.
After observing the comet through the binocs (I detected no tail and no color)
I was curious to see whether the comet was detectable with my naked eye. I was
surprised to see the comet fairly readily. I would say it was comparable to M13
in brightness as seen with the naked eye, which I used as a comparison object.
Last night I could hold both steadily with direct vision. Compared to M13 in
the binocs, the comet was about twice in diameter and the coma was less
compressed to the middle.
Has anyone else been able to see the comet without instrumentation?

Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)

-- stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Howdy all;

Well, I got a look at Comet Lulin this morning at 4:30 AM.  This is from
an RV park near Congress, Az.  There was a 73% illuminated Moon in the sky
and a few clouds in the sky.  Using 8X42 binoculars it is a small, but
high surface brightness, spot between Libra and Spica.  With this small an
aperture I did not see the green color so prominent in images.

I hold out hope for a good telescopic view next weekend with the Moon out
of the sky before sunrise.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe