[AZ-Observing] Re: Comet 73P Movie

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 20:55:18 -0700

Nice movie!  This comet is moving fast.  I looked at it with a TV-76
last night from my backyard in central Tucson.  It was tough to spot,
but right in the exact location I expected it.  Your photo shows much
more than I could see, all I could make out was a 5 arcmin ball of fuzz
with no noticable center condensation.  I didn't find the B component as
I didn't have good notes on where to locate it (since rectified).

I would suggest anyone reading make a habit of looking up this comet,
easy to find between Bootes and Corona Borealis right now (see links
below).  It should be great to watch the C component as it brightens
rapidly towards 3.5.  It will be near or above 4 for most of the month
of May.  More interesting are the B and G components that look to be
quite unpredictable.

Andrew

http://www.aerith.net/comet/weekly/current.html
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/Ephemerides/Comets/index.html

Keith Schlottman, CPA wrote:

>Hi all,
>

>The recent postings about 73P inspired me to get out last night to observe
>it.  In addition to a visual observation, I took a few photos.  After
>reviewing them I decided to make a little "movie" to show the comet's
>motion.  It's really moving fast!  My first image was taken about 11 p.m.
>local time; the last one was less than 37 minutes later.  In that amount of
>time a significant motion was easily noticed.
>

>If you'd like to see my movie, go to my observatory site at
>http://www.schlottmancpa.com/xanadu/.  I should caution that despite my best
>attempts to reduce the file size, it still is about 1 Mb and there is a
>bunch of other junk on the page, so if you're not on high speed internet it
>may take a while to load.
>

>One thing I have not figured out is which component this fragment is.  I
>used TheSky to locate it.  According to one report I've read, Fragment B has
>brightened to become brighter than Fragment C, but I'm guessing that the
>data for the software shows Fragment C.  I may spend some time to try to
>work it out but time will be limited for me for the next week due to work
>responsibilities.
>

>Anyway I hope some of you enjoy watching this little "movie".
>

>Clear Skies,
>

>Keith Schlottman
>

>--

Andrew Cooper