[AZ-Observing] Re: Coconino National Forest closes due to fire danger

  • From: "Brent A Archinal" <barchinal@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:13:38 -0700

Lynn and others -

I'm not seeing much in the way of replies about where to observe in
northern Arizona, and I suspect that's because those of us are up here are
stumped ourselves about where to go.  Having the Coconino National Forest
completely closed for the first time (as of today) is the big problem, as
pretty much all of the sites that I have used and know of are in that
forest somewhere.  This includes Anderson Mesa, Beaver Creek Trailhead,
Slate Mountain, and also the site we've been using quite a bit of late,
the Doney Mountain picnic area near Wupatki National Monument.

Off list Tom Polakis suggested that there must be some BLM land somewhere
up there that could be used, but I'm not aware of any relatively close to
Flagstaff.  There are of course vast BLM holdings north of the Grand
Canyon, some of which are now also National Monuments, but that's a good
drive from here, and more so from central AZ.

Some other options I can think of are:

- Navaho and Hopi reservation land, and private ranch land.  But in these
cases I would think one would want to get permission somewhere for
anything other than a short observing session.  The (undeveloped) area
around Grand Falls on the Navaho reservation might for example be an
excellent site, as would be the ranch land near SP Crater off US 89 (on
the other side of US 89 from Wupatki).

- There are "no overnight parking" signs at the Sunset Crater Monument
lots, but it's not clear if this would eliminate parking for observing
sessions.  A check with rangers there might be best.  The Wupatki parking
lots are definitely off-limits at night as they are always concerned about
security for the ruins within the Monument.  (The Doney Mountain parking
lot is beside Wupatki, but in the Coconino Forest, so normally observing
is okay there.)  Anyway, the main Sunset Crater parking lot and the Cinder
Hills Overlook parking lot would both make for good observing sites if it
were possible to use them.  There is a bit of a glow there though from
Flagstaff to the southwest (although blocked from the Overlook by the
volcano itself).

- Certainly one area that could be used is Grand Canyon National Park
itself.  All areas of the park remain open, so setting up for observing at
one of the overlooks (south or even north rim) is obviously an option.
With advance notice, it also might be easy to still get campground
reservations nearby.  Light pollution from Tusayan in the south is
noticeable from areas right around Grand Canyon Village, but still the
skies overall are pretty good.

- Finally, the one area that we have used for observing that is still
apparently open is the Willard Springs transfer station off I-17 south of
Flagstaff.  This is county land that is still apparently open, although
adjacent to National Forest land.  Directions (from the CAS website at
http://www.lowell.edu/cas/) are: "Take the I17 Willard Springs Exit (#326)
and [going west] follow the paved road for about a mile. Once clear of the
trees, the road turns sharply to the right but continues through as a dirt
road. Set up is about 100 yds on the dirt road near the cinder pile."

As to camping, again, all of the Coconino and most of the Kaibab is
closed, so camping in undeveloped areas is no longer an option and the
developed campsites have also been closed or are being closed.  There are
however many commercial campgrounds in Flagstaff, as was as a county one
at the Fort Tuthill Fairgrounds just south of Flagstaff, and these should
all be open.  I don't know of any available campsites though where one
could also observe from.

Anyway, hope this helps out with options.  If the weather holds (which we
hope it doesn't, considering how much we need the rain!), you'll likely
see more posts from folks "up here" if we do plan to go out observing.

- Brent Archinal

"Lynn blackburn" <LynnRB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
06/27/2002 05:39 PM
Please respond to az-observing

        To:     <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        [AZ-Observing] Re: Coconino National Forest closes due
to fire danger

To Flagstaff observers
I'm looking for a cooler observing site not affected by the forest
closures.
This would be for the weekend of 7-6&7-7, next weekend? Any suggestions
will
be appreciated. Need a break from the Phoenix heat! A site with camping
would be a plus.
Lynn Blackburn
Sagauro Astronomy Club