[AZ-Observing] Cloudy Mars and Venus

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 23:44:15 -0400

Mars is shrinking fast, now at an angular diameter of 11".  The blue color
channel in this RGB image picked up large clouds above the globe.  I shot with
a relatively small image scale with the 10-inch and 2.5x Barlow, and up-sampled
the image by a factor of two.

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/image/142754285

Here is Venus, which has grown to 31", shot through a UVenus filter.  Only a
large, lighter patch near the center is apparent in the image.  I was surprised
to see that this feature was also noticeable visually before the camera went
into the focuser.  As Venus grows, it's phase shrinks, so cloud-watching will
be over in a few weeks.

http://www.pbase.com/image/142754210

Tom