[AZ-Observing] Clear night at Antennas site

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: SMTP <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bill Anderson <malachite@xxxxxxx>, and Jeannie <tcbooks@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 01:44:32 -0700

Howdy all;

The clouds went away, after a light sprinkle, and the skies were nice
and clear when I awoke from an afternoon nap.  I had a very enjoyable
night of observing, as I said before, I have taken on doing the Messier
and Best of the NGC with the 16 inch Newtonian from Tom Clark at
Tectron.  It performed very well, good images after I got it collimated
and the Sky Commander was right on.  My only problem is the focuser.
After the scope got blown over a couple of months ago, the focuser has
been working poorly.  I think I will take it apart tomorrow during the
day and clean and lube it.  I remember saving an old toothbrush for just
such an "emergency";-)

I observed Messiers 50, 41, 35 and 93, then NGC's 2440 and 2392.  Also
spent some time on a couple of favorite double stars and Orion Nebula
area.  I wrote up lots of notes and did a drawing or two.  Lots of fun.
I love observing with friends, but I always get the most done when I am
alone or with just one or two other observers.

I rated the night at 6 for seeing and 7 for transparency.  The moon is
up and the breeze is blowing a little more than when I was observing,
maybe 10 mph.  I do think that tomorrow and/or Tuesday will be good
nights.  We shall see.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe