[AZ-Observing] Re: Cherry Road this weekend, June 8-9

  • From: "Rick Tejera" <saguaroastro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 11:46:31 -0700

Yes, Steve, it was certainly nice to get out. I was actually able to beat
sunset, thinking I'd arrive during twilight due to things beyond my control,
The old meadow was pretty full by the time I got there.

My observing list was to work through AJ's Colum for the upcoming NL, the
objects selected were in Crater & Serpens, two constellation in which my
observations are limited. I work through all of Crater by 2330 and got
through most of Serpens. Have to admit AJ selected some challenge objects
for the 8". Dan Gruber was also working this list and his 18" had a much
easier time in showing the objects  selected. As the saying goes, Aperture
is everything.

The big challenge of the evening was Palomar 5 in Serpens. Gotta call this
one a did not see. Between AJ, Dan & Myself looking through both the 8" &
Dan's 18" we certainly knew we were inn field, but could not make out
anything remotely resembling a far off Globular cluster. Dan pointed out the
the seeing was not allowing pinpoint star images so it would be unlikely to
see something as faint as PAL 5. We had to agree. So it stays on the list.

There were two fellows (Whose names escape me) that were visiting with us
for the first time, They certainly seemed to enjoy themselves, hopefully
they will join us again.

I packed up & left right before moonrise (0140) and rode home with the
rising moon over my shoulder. Good observing & good company, what more could
one ask for?

Clear Skies
Rick Tejera
President