[AZ-Observing] Cherry Rd. Thursday night

  • From: "Matt Luttinen" <mluttinen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 18:46:06 -0700

Hello everybody,

I spent last night up at Cherry Rd, seeing was variable early on
with periods of excellent stability between 1 am and sunrise. The
two observing highlights for me were:

Uranus, 222x, 120mm refractor, 1:30 am: a perfect little "pale blue
dot" exhibiting a crispness I have never seen--the image was utterly
still for minutes at a time. I would guess both seeing and
transparency to be at 7-8 during this period.

M 31, 96x, 10in f5 reflector, 2:00-3 am: multiple dust lanes evident,
looking more "photographic" in visible detail than usual. If we knew
where to look, I am sure we could have logged an M 31 globular or
two . . .

High afternoon clouds dissipated soon after sunset. Here's hoping that
the same thing happens tonight and tomorrow night!

I am planning for Saturday night myself.

Matt

messages.  Thanks.