[AZ-Observing] Celestial Portraits Book Available at Messier Marathon

  • From: "Tom Polakis" <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:51:06 -0700

The following is an infomercial announcement...

During a six-year period ending this month, Astronomy magazine published a
series of observing articles I wrote for them under the name "Celestial
Portraits".  The series ran for 45 articles until we ran out of sky to
cover.  Along the way, I was told countless times that the articles should
be compiled into a book.  Thanks to the tireless effort of Peter
Argenziano, the articles are now assembled in a single volume.  I will
bring the books to the Messier marathon, where they will be available for
$5.

The book contains all of the articles and two companion tables of all 798
objects: one sorted by article and the other by R.A.  Peter turned what
began as a modest copying project on my part into something much, much
better.  The articles were scanned into a PDF file, repaginated, an index
was added, and all of this was very sturdily spiral bound and covered.  He
was able to do this for me for not much more than the price of paper and
binding, for which I cannot thank him enough.  I wanted to make zero
profit, but even at the low $5 price tag, I'll make more than a dollar per
book to give to the IDA.  Since the books are still no more than black &
white copies, and essentially being given away, I have been given the
permission of the magazine to make this offer.

If you're interested, my dark blue Nissan pickup with light-blue shell
will be parked at the southeast corner of the field next to my 20-inch
scope.  I should be able to make it to the site by 4 p.m. or so.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Tom