[AZ-Observing] CGEM or Atlas EQ-G Mount for Astrophotography Question

  • From: "Jim Waters" <james.t.waters@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <EVAC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 17:22:31 -0700

I am currently getting into astrophotography and need to improve my setup.
I currently have a Losmandy G8 non Gemini mount and am thinking about
selling it.  I need a mount with a little more carrying capacity, GOTO
capability and a mount that has computer assist polar alignment.  My
astrophotography scopes may be Astro-Tech AT8IN, various Stellarvue 90 and
102mm scopes or piggy-back photography with a Canon EOS / 'L' class lenses.
I use the Canon XSi for astrophotography.  I have thought about upgrading to
a G11 with a Gemini but Losmandy is redesigning the Gemini and it will not
be released until 1q11.  I have also been told that using a Gemini is
difficult.

I am looking into the CGEM Computerized or Atlas EQ-G mounts.  From a
mechanical standpoint migrating to one of these 2 mounts would be a
step-down.  The RA periodic error is much higher but can likely be trained
out to some degree using PEC.  The quality of these 2 mounts is also in
question.  Is anybody using these 2 mounts for serious astrophotography
using the scopes above and getting good results?

Ideally I would like to have an AP Mach 1 but this is 'well outside' of my
price range.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Jim

SAC / EVAC