[AZ-Observing] Bright unknown stellar object in Scorpius

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: SMTP <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim and Lynn Barclay <mao123@xxxxxxxxxxx>, and Jeannie <tcbooks@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 20:28:01 -0600

OK, I might make a fool of myself but there is an "extra star" in the
head of Scorpius.  I estimate its position at 15h 50m and -23 00.  That
is very rough, it is estimated off of the Bright Star Atlas.  The star
is unmistakable, it is brighter than Beta Sco and fainter than Antares.
It is light orange in the binoculars.

I have been watching it for 20 minutes and it has not moved.  You will
have to have a clear southwestern horizon and go outside now to see it.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe