[AZ-Observing] Re: Aurora NOW

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 20:03:14 -0700 (MST)

     No evidence of it from Flagstaff (yet).  Usually the Peaks
will be strongly silhouetted by background light with even rather
modest activity, but there is no sign of this out a second-floor
picture window in a dark room from Mars Hill.
     I do note, however, that the auroral power is definitely
enhanced per the map and data at:

http://www.spacew.com/www/aurora.php

...and evidently there are aurorae visible currently in the
eastern US.  I'd expect to see the map at the bottom of the URL
just given to indicate the 'red zone' down south of the Canadian
border, and the power output figure upwards toward 200 gigawatts.

\Brian