[AZ-Observing] Re: Aureole of Venus During Transit Ingress

  • From: Klaus Brasch <krbrasch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 13:42:00 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

 body{font-family:
Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color:
#ffffff;color: black;}
Very nice image Rick. If any of you have similar images I would love to have
copies if you are willing to supply them

Several of us here at Lowell Observatory participated with Bill Sheehan and
pro astronomer Paolo Tanga from the Observatory of the Cote d'Azur in
France,in a special experiment to image the Venus aureole just before and
during first contact. Tanga provided several custom made coronagraphs for
that purpose which were located at various locations across the globe to
capture both ingress and egress. The main goal of the project was to obtain
solid data using a well defined transit system (Venus &Sun) in order to
applythat to exoplanet transit observations. Since Venus is an earth-size
planet with a dense atmosphere that makes it especially interesting for
comparisons to exoplanet transits.

I have attached a series of images taken with the coronagraph pre and during
first contact.

Regards,

Klaus