[AZ-Observing] At Antennas site

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: SMTP <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 12:25:04 -0600

Howdy all;

Looks clear for tonight, I have the scope set up and ready, maybe a nap
is in order.  I am also going to watch the World Series this afternoon.
Hope to see you out here.

I do have one other thing to discuss.  My old directions to this site
are in error because of the latest wind storm.  The "Dead End" sign at
the left turn onto Hovatter Road is not there anymore.  However, the
Hovatter Road sign did survive.  So, don't go straight on the pavement,
turn left onto Hovatter Road and it will lead you past the antennas on
the right as you drive south on the dirt road.

Here are the updated directions.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

Antennas site

N 33 35 03   W 113 37 55

This site is 100 miles from central Phoenix.  Drive west on I-10 to the
Hovatter Road exit; that is exit number 53.  This is about 40 miles past
the Palo Verde nuclear power plant.  At the end of the off ramp, turn
left over the freeway and drive over the canal and then the road takes a
sharp right.  Very quickly turn left at the Hovatter Road sign and you
will be headed directly toward some radio and cell phone antennas.
After you pass the antennas the road takes a sharp right and makes its
way through a wash or stream gulley; then the road levels off for half a
mile before you pass into a second gulley.  As soon as you come out of
the second gulley the observing site is on your left.  It is a large
desert pavement that is exactly 2 miles from the I-10 freeway.  There is
a line of white marker rocks at the entrance.