[AZ-Observing] Re: Antennas cold and clear

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 10:00:56 GMT

15480 Empire Rd.
Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244

I didn't go out Thursday night, 9 degrees was a little too brisk for me, but it
was clear and breezy. I opted to put another couple logs on the fire and had
myself a cup of tea. We had a _high_ of 27 degrees earlier that day.

However, I did observe from my usual place in the backyard tonight (Friday)
from about 9pm until 2:30am when high, thin clouds started rolling in from the
west and the humidity increased. The temperature started out at a moderate 29
degrees and _only_ went down to 23 degrees when I declared a victory and came
inside, more tired than cold. I had about four layers of clothes on and was
quite comfortable. An indication of how cold it was: my cup of Dr Pepper became
slushy after about an hour outside and I had to drink it up before it became
ice. The seeing was a little blobby so no close double star work tonight.
However, the transparency was very good and I got some of my best views of M81
and M82, M108 and M97 (the Owl), and M109 and its twin NGC 3953. I then
observed a good number of galaxies in Leo and Virgo, though the transparency
and eyepiece dewing were an issue after midnight. All in all, a good night.

Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)