[AZ-Observing] An Arizona Sky Observer's SkyCalendar for 2012

  • From: "Doug Snyder" <starhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haclist" <haclist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 09:33:41 -0700

Hello To All Arizona Observers,

If you plan on doing any 2012 sky observing within Arizona for the entire
year or even just part of the year, then you'll really have to download the
FREE PDF Arizona Sky Phenomena Calendar for 2012.  It is a one page PDF with
currently known sky events for ALL 12 months of 2012. Not only that, ALL of
the dates AND times shown in the calendar are adjusted to reflect our
Arizona MST  (Mountain Standard Time) and NO DST (Daylight Savings Time).
Just think - no UT, no EST times to convert to our time zone.  For the
calendar, the events listed for each month are thought to be the more
significant sky events occurring, and most likely visible, in all or parts
of Arizona.  If something in the sky is occurring somewhere in the world,
but not probably visible within Arizona, it is not listed (Like the November
13, 2012 Total Eclipse).  You will, however, find events like the Annular
Solar Eclipse occurring in May, and our fore-shortened Transit of Venus in
June in the appropriate monthly listings.  You have to remember that all of
the times and dates reflect MST, and that MST is 7 hours behind UT
(Universal Time).

The download link is available at http://skycalendar.blackskies.org and the
calendar can be printed out on a single 8.5" x 11" sheet.   During the year,
it is expected that any updates and newly announced or corrected phenomena
will be placed on a 'blog' at the same web address. Comments, questions,
suggestions, and corrections are appreciated at any time and my current
email is open at starhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  .
Feel free to forward this if you care to.

Wishing all clear, dark skies,
(even though we are the victims of the 'light bullies')

Doug Snyder
(a graduate of Punahou  - Aloha and Mele Kalikimaka )