[AZ-Observing] [AZ-Observing]"Naked Eye" Sun Spots

  • From: "Jimmy Ray" <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 15:18:59 -0700

This may be something that others have experienced but today I was doing
some white light observing of the Sun with the C-11. There are four
different Sun Spot groups / clusters out on the face currently. One large
singular Sun Spot was quite prominent near the center of the disk. In trying
to see how much time was left before the roof of the house eclipsed ASDOG's
view of the Sun, I pulled a set of "Eclipse Shades" out of a drawer and put
them on. Looking up at the solar disk I was rather surprised to note that
the sun spot was quite easy to see. Was kind of fun and was interesting to
note the size naked eye vs. what I was seeing in the eyepiece.

What you Chris Hanrahan for the eclipse shades. He handed out these little
gems during a solar eclipse presentation a few months back. A handy little
tool.

Thank you,

Jimmy Ray