[AZ-Observing] Re: [AZJohn L. Dobson RIP 15 January 2014

  • From: Jeff <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 20:58:15 -0700

From the AAVSO forum:
"*It is with great sadness and heavy hearts that we have to report the
passing of Mr John L. Dobson. He died peacefully this morning, January 15th,
2014, in Burbank, California. He was 98. John leaves behind a son, many close
friends, and leg**ions of friends, fans, and admirers around the globe.*"
I think he was one of the most influential amateur astronomers of the 20th
century, and played the leading role in promoting large, inexpensive
telescopes - fittingly named the "Dobsonian" - which revolutionized the
ability of amateurs to make significant contributions to astronomical
research. I am sure many of us pro-am observers wouldn't be here today, if it
wasn't for "JD" and all his devotion and work he did to spread the wonders of
the universe amongst the public.

On a personal note, I will miss him dearly, especially our "sidewalk
astronomy" nights together on the streets of San Francisco - the place where
the "Dobsonian revolution" began some 40+ years ago.

Rest in Eternal Glory amongst the stars, my friend.

Mike LMK
Jeff
Hopkins Phoenix Observatory
(187283)