[AZ-Observing] A good time at the former "Cherry Rd"

  • From: pulind@xxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 18:12:57 -0400 (EDT)

I, too, noticed the new highway signs.   But i t was a good night, clear, not
much wind, and quite a few people (about 10).  I got my first look at the M51
supernova in Tom Polakis' scope, and  had no idea it was so bright.  I set up
for photography with my 12.5" and lots of little things started going wrong
before I could photograph M8 .  F irst, the focus function of Nebulosity
wouldn't work, requiring a lot of manual focusing.  Then, guiding was very
sloppy.  This gave  new meaning to the term sub-frame.  You start out with
sub-frames intending to stack them, then you select the only decent  frame to
print!   A single frame of M8 is posted on:

http://www.pbase.com/paullind/image/135908113

Paul