[AZ-Observing] Re: 2012 DA14 image

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 08:55:31 -0700

Had two DFAC members up here in New River looking for DA14 with me. We
had a great clear view to the NNE from the top of my hill, but there was
a layer of haze that formed right after sunset. After a bit of scanning
around (visual only) we found it about halfway between Kappa Draconis
and Kochab. Very faint but showing obvious motion. Followed it for about
10-15 minutes, then between its rapid dimming and the haze layer, we
just lost it. We were using 10x80 binocs.
Dan Heim

PAUL: What that brightest star in your image at upper right? I'm
guessing north is up? That would approximately match the direction of
motion we saw.