[az-leader] forest health editorial--8/11/03

  • From: "Roland W James" <roland.james@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <opinions@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:10:10 -0700

In the forest health debate there must be a middle ground between cutting no
big trees
and cutting the relatively few remaining big trees without limit.  Regulation
is needed
and should allow a profit to timber companies, but not a gouging profit.
No one opposes thinning small trees, which make up the vast majority of forests.
However,  the George II administration has been
so dishonest about the exploding deficits that there was not even 20% of the
budgeted amount for thinning around Summerhaven.
Can't we also agree about prioritizing community protection?  If a 1 mile
buffer
isn't enough, then 2 or 3 miles.

There is a wall of denial in the  U.S. about  mentioning global climate change,
the primary long-term forest health issue.
On the other hand, the European press, political leaders and public are more
than
 willing  to make connections:
CO2AL & Oil --->>(leading to)  Global Climate Change--->>Drought in the
Southwest---
--->>unhealthy forests, including dying trees and enhanced fires,"
OR  the connection between energy use/production and global climate change.

Except for Talton and Pimentel,   The Republic has been MIA on this issue,
too..

Roland James       Phoenix and Santa Rosa, Ca       currently at 520.882-4136

P.S.  Even straight talkin' Sen. John McCain wants it both ways--
expresses concern about global climate change
and then votes against improving fuel efficiency.
Again,  in an annual exercise in futility, the Congress recently
defeated proposals to increase fuel efficiency to 40 mpg by 2015 and to
increase fuel efficiency for SUVs, vans and pickups to 27.5 mpg.
 As the U.S.
1)increases oil consumption and builds more coal plants;
2)considers drilling in environmentally pristine areas;
3) sees climate change effects in Alaska,  British Columbia, Glacier Park,
Arizona, coral islands and even dried-up rivers in drought-stricken Europe;
4) spends lives and billion$ in occupying oil-rich Iraq as global oil
production approaches peak--
the Congress won't pass these measures this year.
If not now,  WHEN?

Perhaps environmental groups should shift their emphasis to
the states and support proposals such as implementing
 a "carrot and stick" sliding scale sales tax and annual vehicle license tax
 for new non-commercial vehicles based  on fuel efficiency.

About half the states, including Arizona,  have the initiative process if the
legislature fails
to move.  At least, this would enable discussion, which is minimal now.

Blair did tell a good joke to Congress about a suffragist who advised
a politician to run on a platform of "votes for women, chastity
for men, and prohibition for all."
Is challenging the American love affair with SUVs and gas guzzlers
-- with higher efficiency standards or through higher gas taxes or higher
vehicle taxes on gas guzzlers--
-- as unrealistic?

Roland James