September 2005: We need a revolution in Architecture…

  • From: Archventures eNews <avenews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avenews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:09:55 -0500

"Architects are responsible for close to 50 percent of the total
energy consumption in this country and close to 50 percent of total
emissions. So, if you want to make significant reductions... If you
want to attack the problem, this is where we have to attack it. And
attack it we can. It's not that difficult." -- Edward Mazria

This call to "turn down the global thermostat" was the opening shot
for ArchFest Boston 2005. More on this, and other news bits and bites,
is provided below…

::

Summer designs

Thrashing around in the waist deep water of a lake shouting "Mar-co!",
then waiting in blind anticipation for the corresponding shrill of
answers - "Po-lo!" - is not an activity you would normally associate
with design. But none the less, this scene describes the highlight of
a summer architecture program that we've recently completed.

In collaboration with YouthBuild Boston, Archventures engaged five
teens in the design of an outdoor play area for the Griffin House – a
residential rehabilitation program for women and their children in
Boston. The group visited with architects Seth Holmes and Mike McHugh,
worked with architect Blake Auchincloss, and consulted with landscape
designer Nia Rodgers. By the "apprentices" account, the highlight of
the summer was their weekend in and around Hanover NH and Lake Morey
Vermont.

The weekend started with a workshop with Hunter Ulf of UK Architects,
and continued with a retreat to Lake Morey, where the Harwood's
(Sybil, Paul, Kit, and Sybil's mother – Sybil) provided a base camp
for the group's exploration of nearby mountain trails and hidden
waterfalls. As you may have guessed, Lake Morey also became the
playing field for a certain game of Marco Polo.

::

Archventures grows

Under the auspices of YouthBuild Boston, and funded by AmeriCorp,
Archventures has recruited Alyssa Di Cesare to take on
responsibilities of Project Manager. Alyssa comes to Boston from
Yorktown Heights, New York, and is a second year student at the Boston
Architectural Center. Besides a passion for ballroom dancing, Alyssa
also has a strong interest in "green architecture" and education.

::

Annual Meeting

Our first Annual Meeting will be taking place this Friday (9/23) and
Saturday (9/24). We will gather our Governance Group, staff, and local
supporters for half a day of brainstorming and discussions about the
future of Archventures, and we invite you all to join. If you'd like
to attend, please write me at simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

::

What walks, talks, and opens buildings?

ArchFest, and its planners invite you to join this city-wide series of
events, encouraging community members to talk with one another about
what makes Boston's built environment great and how they can make it
better.

For information about ArchFest, visit http://www.archfest.org or
e-mail info@xxxxxxxxxxxx

..

"Archventures eNews" (Avenews for short) is a bi-monthly newsletter
circulated among Archventures' growing network of volunteers,
supporters, and peer organizations.

with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject line. For a searchable
online archive, point your browser to
//www.freelists.org/archives/avenews/.

Got feedback? Drop us a line, at staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx