November 2004: Wrapping up Phase 2…

  • From: Archventures eNews <avenews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avenews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:31:16 -0500

(Originally published through ConstantContact.com)

We're just about to wrap up Phase II of our Pilot Year, and there is a
lot to update you on. But, not a lot of time... So stay tuned for news
on our upcoming project (Phase III), and in the mean time take a few
minutes to breeze through this e-mail. And don't hesitate to contact
us if there's anything you'd like to clarify or find out more about.

..

The Secret Life of Buildings

In collaboration with HMFH Architects and Citizen Schools, we're
leading five 8th graders through a simplified Indoor Environmental
Quality Evaluation of a "Green School" in Somerville. Dyer Technology,
the University of Oregon's "Agents of Change" program, and Onset
Computers provided the measurement instruments for the evaluation. The
results will presented at "Kids design Boston's future" on December
8th.

More about Agents of Change at http://aoc.uoregon.edu/

::

Phase I

As we applied for Non Profit recognition from the state of
Massachusetts (July 2004) we also dived head first into a pilot
project, which engaged experienced designers and architecture students
with 5 young apprentices in creating a master plan for a community
garden (at "H Block"). Half way through the project we revised our
goal to producing a funding aid in the form of a visitors guide. We're
now editing the guide and a case study of the project using the AIA's
Case Study Guidelines.

More on case studies at: www.aia.org/ed_casestudies

::

Fundraising

We're getting ready to apply for our IRS Tax Exempt status (501c3),
but are short $500 for the application fee. So, we figured it's about
time to undertake a small fundraiser. We threw in a few anticipated
start-up expenses, as well as a small fund for Phase III of our Pilot
Year, and have come up with a neat goal of $2,500.

The fundraising campaign will be short, will be led by our Board of
Directors (Shannon, Greg and myself), and will target our closest
supporters... so if you feel like setting aside some of that Christmas
money for supporting a novel approach to architecture education and
practice, then please do give us a call.

::

Got advice?

Over the past few weeks we've been working hard on recruiting more
hands (and minds) to build our new model of "Reflective Practice and
Proactive Education". For our Advisory Board we are looking to recruit
up to 9 individuals from architecture related fields of practice and
from our constituency. This group will be international, and will meet
bi-monthly via teleconference.

For our Board of Overseers we are seeking 5 experienced individuals in
finance, law, architecture, non profit management, and social science.
This group will meet quarterly by teleconference and will work
directly with a member of our Board of Directors. If you or someone
you know might be interested, then please do send us word.

::

Cradle 2 Cradle

"No matter how you look at it, the C2C Home design and construction
competition is different. Design will lead to actual construction.
Jurors are Alexander
Garvin, Daniel Libeskind, Bill McDonough, Randall Stout, and Sarah
Susanka. And homes will be built with a goal of achieving the new
standards of sustainability set up in Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the
Way We Make Things. Register now to turn your ideas into reality-and
turn the world of design and construction upside down."

Read more at http://www.c2c-home.org

..

"Archventures eNews" (Avenews for short) is a bi-monthly newsletter
circulated among Archventures' growing network of volunteers,
supporters, and peer organizations.

with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject line. For a searchable
online archive, point your browser to
//www.freelists.org/archives/avenews/.

Got feedback? Drop us a line, at staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx