January 2007: Ready for an Archventure?

  • From: "Stephen Cote" <avenews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avenews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 21:57:38 -0500

We are now emerging from the official Archventures holiday blackout period.
The year 2007 finds Archventures supported by more volunteers and overall
interest than ever before.  Below you'll find recent progress and
information about a new springtime archventure.

::

Hawthorn Shed

The green shed for a youth center community garden which is composed of
school lockers, shipping pallets, and a reclaimed skin has really taken
shape over the fall. It needs a final push to get its winter skin on.
As such, this is an open invitation for archventures friends and newcomers
to lend a hand in construction.  Please email staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for
more information and to lend a helping hand.

::

Reed House

The rehab and conversion of this South End row house into a transitional
home for artists is back in action. This is exciting not only for the team
of architects, contractors and community advocates but also
for Archventures. We produced a report detailing funding feasibility,
sustainability and accessibility earlier in 2006 and the design team has
returned to us asking for ways we might participate. In the final push to
arrive on a scope, we are envisioning that several short term projects, such
as research exercises and one-day roof top charrettes as well as a longer
involvement such as collaborating on a green roof, a novel accessibility
lift, recycling program, a yet-to-emerge design-build opportunity, or a
post-occupancy study engaging young learners in the field of building
technology.

::

Spring Archventure New Orleans March 16-18

We're in the process of coordinating a spring field trip to New Orleans
where Archventures has some good connections to people doing good in the
Crescent City. We'll apply our typical rambling style of case studies to
some recently completed projects including the House of Dance and Feathers
http://www.projectlocus.org/locus_main%2001.htm . Like usual, we'll be keen
to learn lessons and apply them in our own backyard.

::

Web presence

This simple but robust interface will give Archventures a means of more
thoroughly explaining who we are both in terms of projects
and philosophies, but also as a way to recognize our broad base of
volunteers.  Several hands will be appreciated to develop concepts and also
implement them.

*Archventures** *Building usability in unlikely places
staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, www.archnet.org/gws/av