<USS Avalon> sunsets gone, warm nights forgotten, and bitter tears wiped dry PT2

  • From: Dodge Thomas <dodgethomas2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:43:43 -0700 (PDT)

Sunsets Gone, Warm Nights Forgotten, and Bitter Tears Wiped Dry.

PT 2-Dodge Thomas

The clatter of dishes and the faint but distinguishable odors of fresh food
being prepared in the kitchen was one of the timeless little nostalgias that
had survived throughout the centuries. Although food replication devices were
readily available almost everywhere on a Starfleet vessel, real food cooked
with a variety of herbs, spices, cheeses, wines and garnishes was still sought
after by many. Luckily, volunteer food preparation teams had taken up residence
on many of the ships throughout the Federation. They tended the mess hall
nightly from sixteen hundred hours to twenty-three hundred hours, preparing and
serving a variety of real food dishes to crewmembers who desired such cuisine.

Dodge sat near a window by himself, intently caught up in the intricacies of
his life and more so in the droplets of water that had begun to condense on the
outer surface of his glass. His attention shifted from the glass to the PADD he
had taken with him for analysis. Ed's situation was rapidly degrading, and
worse, there was nothing he could do about it.

He removed the ring he had found so many weeks before from his middle finger.
The single silver band shone dully in the lowered light of the mess hall. Tiny
imperfections in it's outer surface were clearly evident.

"Here's your dinner mister Thomas. Did you want any--Hey! That's my ring!"

"What? No, I think you might be mistaken. You see, I--"

"I lost it like a week or two ago. Where did you find it?"

"It's...it was....the turbolift."

"Thank you so much!" The waitress set the plate of food she was carrying down
on the table, then sat down with Dodge and proceeded to eat his dinner.

"Um..that's,? He sighed, sinking into his seat. ?Help yourself."

She grabbed the ring out of his fingers and slipped it on one of hers. "It's an
engagement ring. I'm so glad you found it."

"It's pretty...uh...cheap, for an engagement ring that is."

"Oh, that's okay. It's a Betazoid engagement ring."

"I always thought that Betazoid wedding engagements were rather extravagant."

"Oh, the engagement gifts are. You should see the necklaces and dresses and
everything. But, the engagement ring itself is simple and discrete."

"How'd you lose it?"

"Oh, Tom and I got in a fight and then I thought we were going to call it all
off, so I threw the ring away."

"Why get back together again? You were free."

"Oh no, I can't live without him. I'm madly in love with everything about
him...his eyes...his voice...his...well, everything."

"Mmmhmm. Well, isn't that sweet?"

"What? Are you feeling okay?"

"Oh yea, and how are you?"

"Um..fine?"

"Sure you are, right up until the part where you get to bury that man who you
are so fucking in love with. And you can just bury your love...and...and fine!
Stop eating my dinner!"

Dodge stopped, realizing that he was standing, shouting, and waving his arms
around at the confused looking young woman.

?Lieutenant Thomas, please report to the main cargo bay. Lieutenant Thomas,
please report to the main cargo bay.? The ship?s intercom cut Dodge from his
mental reverie.

"Now, if you'll excuse me," He grabbed a forkful of pasta and stuffed it in his
mouth before continuing. "I muft be going now." He swallowed. "Enjoy my dinner."

With that said, Dodge turned and stomped out of the mess hall.