<USS Avalon> The Killing Silence

  • From: Shadow Spinner <shadowspinner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Avalon <avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 18:56:49 -0400

The Killing Silence
===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
Ensign Sera Teryn
Assistant Chief Engineer
USS /Avalon/
===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====

One month. That was how long she'd been on Betazed. That was how long she had been separated from Skyler. That was how long the Silence had lasted. And it was killing her inside.

She'd been called back suddenly, told to come and to say nothing. She'd not understood why until she'd gotten to her father's family home. Well, technically, it was the original Tery's family, but that hardly mattered now, did it? She had taken on that life, and with it, that family. She had told no one, except for Skyler, and so this was her responsibility, the Final Rites and Mourning Rites.

Betazoids were strange about such things, she reflected as she stepped off the shuttle from Betazed on Earth. They were exceedingly private, only equaled in that by Vulcans. They kept everything in Silence where it dealt with death. Thus the demand that she say nothing and the fact that they had not allowed her to call anyone while in the Time of Mourning.

Now she was returning to her post, Starfleet having recalled her from Betazed against the protests of her uncle. But she wondered how this all had affected her Love. Likely badly, not that she could not understand or blamed Skyler in the least. She'd likely moved on, and why not. She had no way to know where Tery had gone or why.

She sighed and shifted the bag on her shoulder. /I'm sorry, Love./ She thought, knowing she was too far away for Skyler to hear her but needing to express it anyway. /I never wanted to hurt you. I'm sorry./

The /Avalon/ was actually due back in soon, so Tery made her way through the Spaceport to a port where she could watch for the ship that was bringing Skyler back to her. /Well, at least back physically. What if she no longer wants to be with me, feels that I betrayed her? What if...?/

She shook her head, trying to clear it. /Stop it, Tery. There is no sense in tormenting yourself with what-ifs. What will be will be. Cross that bridge when you get to it, not before./ So she stood and watched... and waited...

<TBC or TAG>