<USS Avalon> Secrets Poison The Heart

  • From: Anthony Manson <circus_ofde_damned@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Avalon Sim <avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:08:15 -0800 (PST)

Secrets Poison The Heart

by Junior Lieutenant James Monroe

James paced about in his quarters. Hands continuously rubbing as his mind raced
through problems and solutions, possibilities and outcomes, if?s and if not?s.
This observation over Lissi was becoming increasingly difficult. Considering
that Intel found him invaluable to watching Lissi, James wasn?t given specific
reasons for this act of spying. Only questions that would never be answered.
And this entire mission was becoming to difficult.

****

"Your orders are to observe her anyway you can and ascertain if the woman you
see before you is exactly who she is. We know of your current.. .involvement
with her, Monroe, and we feel you are the best candidate for this mission,"
Holden gave him a stern look. But behind that mask there was an underling of...
sympathy.

Monroe frowned, "you?re asking me to spy on my own girlfriend? Holden, she is
who she is, what can possibly be wrong with Marksbury?"

"That?s none of your concern, Monroe. Just that you are to observe her and give
us frequent updates. You know which codes to use to get to us. And you know how
to cover your tracks well enough." Holden than gave a grim smile, "look, I
know. She?s your girl. And it doesn?t take much to know that you?re head over
heels for her."

"Not like people can tell," Monroe smiled.

"No, but your captain can. So don?t bother hiding it. I know you two trust each
other. But this is imperative. Give us what you can, and I already know that
your reports will be rather for her side, but I?m gonna ask you to use your
best judgement in analyzing her."

"You want me to analyze my own girlfriend based on something I can?t ask in the
first place."

Holden nodded, "you don?t have to say ?I don?t like it,? cause that was exactly
what I said to Admiral Pew and Commodore Brookman. Both of them are convinced
this will be a good opportunity to observe her while on duty. And in such a way
that it wont disrupt the ?order of things?."

"Aside from my order of things. I think I like the fact I remain as the person
she trust, not the person she?s being constantly lied to."

"I?m not asking you to lie."

"You?re not exactly saying not to either."

"Monroe," Holden cut the young man off from saying anything else, "can you do
this? If you can?t we can send someone in. But frankly, a ship filling up with
so many Intel officers at once usually creates suspicions. We don?t need
suspicions."

He gave a gesture with shutting eyes, "I can do it."

"Good. You leave...."

****

James entered a long code into the computer. Bypassing most of the traditional
Starfleet subspace channels. He waited for a few minutes, and then a few
confirming bleeps patched him directly facing Holden.

Holden hid his surprise as he looked at his protege. He didn't have to ask, the
mere attitude Monroe never expressed was clear now, Holden moved closer to the
screen, "You?ve got a problem."

Monroe nodded, "this mission is becoming more difficult by the day."

"You knew this wasn?t going to be easy."

"But I didn?t anticipate this being this hard. My feelings toward Marksbury is
clouding my judgement."

Holden gave a serious contemplative look, "but the fact that you know your
emotions are clouding you, you should be able to take a step back and still
operate."

"Captain, it?s not that easy." Monroe?s attitude turned to frustration. Maybe
frustration that had longed for release. The simple detail to ranks told Holden
the young man was facing with decisions he never had to face in his entire time
with Intel. James Monroe was efficient, good at what he did best, and the
thought that his own protege was irked this badly made Holden wonder if this
mission had come to its rightful ending.

But, he couldn?t make that decision. This entire case was under the command of
Pew, and overseen by Brookman. Holden?s cell was just picked based on their
performance for Starfleet Intelligence. Holden felt like this was becoming more
of a double edge deal. His cell was just too damn good at times, and this was
their price. It didn?t happen often, but when it did, it left Holden wondering
about his own judgement and how he ran his cell.

"I?m sorry you can?t end it as you wish, Monroe. You?re going to have to stick
with this. What is your report on her?" Holden decided if he kept the man on
business at hand, James might be able to distance himself from his conflicted
feelings.

"Unchanged," Monroe stated flatly. He was use not receiving help, but this...
this was different, "I don?t know what I?m looking for and that is making my
duty more difficult. Perhaps if I could get a little more info..."

"Your duty is to serve on board the Avalon. Your mission is to observe her. Can
you handle this Lieutenant?" Holden asked with pure concern, but he hid it well
behind a formal mask. Cutting off Monroe, the question weighed heavily now.

Monroe gritted his teeth, "yes. I can. But only if I had some help with this.
Intel is asking me to spy on my partner whom I see everyday and spend as much
time as possible with her. These are tough feelings to overcome and still
maintain my mission. Not to mention carrying out our relationship like nothing
is happening. It?s living a lie."

Holden thought about this for a moment, staring intently at James through the
other end. "So far, you?ve given three reports. Are you sure you can?t go on
with this?"

"I didn?t say I can?t. I?m saying I need help."

"There is none to give here, Monroe. You?re on your own this time around. And
this time, it?s your ability to handle this or not. So I?m asking you now, can
you or can you not handle it?"

"No," Monroe conceded softly, "I can?t. Not any longer."

"Then it?s over. But make no mistake," Holden said almost as an afterthought,
"if we need you back into this, we?re putting you back. It?s a good thing
Brookman has Doctor Roan and Counselor McKinsely for backups. Your part of this
mission is over. You are to resume your normal duties."

"Pew isn?t going to like this. Neither is Brookman," Monroe simply stated.
Holden wasn't one to do favors in his cell. It was a blessing and a debt Monroe
knew he had to pay later.

"Pew, I?ll handle. I?ve dealt with worse, and Brookman is more sympathetic.
While he agreed you may have been the best person for this assignment, he did
express that your ties with Marksbury might affect your job. Naturally, no one
listens to him, and he does need to keep a close eye..." Holden shook his head,
"get some rest, Monroe. Holden out."

The screen went blank. And it felt like eternity as James finally exhaled.

http://mail.yahoo.com