<USS Avalon> Rule of Acquisition #3: Never Pay More For An Acquisition Than You Have To

  • From: Anthony Manson <circus_ofde_damned@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Avalon Sim <avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 17:28:39 -0700 (PDT)

Rule of Acquisition #3: Never Pay More For An Acquisition Than You Have To

by Lieutenant First Class Alder Shimbrodus

"You did what?!" Capelan demanded his clenched up, controlling his surprise to
Alder?s update.

Alder calmly looked at him, "you heard me. I gave her an ultimatum."

"You were attempting to blackmail her into submitting the company to you. Did
you ever for once think that she could just as easily go to the authorities and
hold you under the conspiracy of withholding valuable information- that I might
add- would drag not just you but all of us?"

Alder nodded, "of course I did, but then do you really think she would- for any
reason under then just being desperate- go to the authorities? As you said, she
worked hard for her position, you never said she was rash in her decisions."

Capelan?s eyebrows went up a little, having never seen this particular angle.
"You have me there," he then smiled, "you know, for a rookie, you?re not bad at
all. Now if Torien would just see this, she would understand that you are the
perfect candidate to run the company and lead our group."

Alder shook his head, but stopped as the bright light from the viewscreen made
him slightly dizzy. Sitting in the dark didn?t help either, "I?m not going to
run the company, Capelan. You are."

Capelan choked on his water, "what did you say? I can?t run the company myself,
Alder. You know that, I already made it clear I?m not up to the responsibility.
And besides..."

"And you think I am?"

Capelan nodded, "from what has been transpiring..."

"Is only because the other choices are not an option. I am not good enough to
run the company, but I will not let it fall into hands of some power hungry hot
head who thinks she can dominate everyone by sheer aggressive intimidation. I
cannot do it. I?m not a businessman..."

"You obviously are good enough to stand in Torien?s way."

Alder shook his head, "you haven?t been listening to me. I said I?m doing
what?s necessary. Not what I want. Besides she can?t go the authorities and
drag us all in since my father evidently left a contract that excluded the
companies from being held responsible for Avtek?s- or any other company?s-
activities: she just thinks she can bring us all down. Which is why when we are
in the negotiations- as leader of the company- it?s within my right to step
down, and place you as head."

Capelan gave a serious look, "don?t do this to me, Alder. Please, you have no
idea what you?re asking."

Alder gave a small smile, "of course I do. You may be leader, but there will be
a few assistants to help you. Assistants I think you know of."

Capelan shook his head, "I already have assistants, Alder, thanks for the
consideration, but I?m not taking the job."

It was Alder?s turn to give a serious face, "you will stand for the job. You
have been in the group for years, you are the most experience, and by far the
most qualified. The assistants are not going to help you with your company,
it?s going to help the Shimbrodus Company."

"How so? And how many assistants are we talking about?"

"Two only, they?ll make decisions for you while you run your company."

Capelan shook his head, "they can?t do that."

Alder?s smile grew a little more, "oh yes they can. According to the group?s
set of regulations, the leader can turn all authority and duties to the
assistants for up to five months at a time. In which the next seven months they
can help you. Besides, you make the critical ones, they make the big and small
ones. It all works out."

"And what does Avtek gain from this?"

"Nothing but the Company?s support... oh, and the fact that they won?t be
turned in to the authorities."

Capelan nodded thoughtfully, "alright, I suppose we could do this," he
hesitated to ask but did, "are you sure this is going to work out? Can you
guarantee it?"

Alder shook his head, "nothing can be guaranteed. My goal is to back Avtek and
Torien into a corner. Which I think can work."

Capelan gave a last nod, "okay. We can do this. The meeting starts at your
convenience, it would seem that Torien found out that you wouldn?t be here.
When she tried contesting this, she was- ironically- out voted by her side of
the group. And the Denevan Government has allowed holo-projectors to be
installed. See you when you?re ready."

The screen went blank again. Alder sighed in relief, and tiredness. In his time
dealing with the company?s turmoil and his regular duties, Alder felt like he
was being burned at both ends of a candlestick. And Capelan didn?t really give
a solid agreement to him being stepped up into leadership, he merely agreed.
Alder shook his head, with two assistants, Capelan could afford to run his
company, Alder?s would-be-gone company, and the group, without going insane.

Putting all that aside he smiled as he knew he had done it, he had managed to
save his career in Starfleet, and hopefully not lose the company in the
process. And there was one more deal to be made- one he hoped would be
irresistible enough that it would be taken; Henry Shimbrodus- his cousin- would
be one of Capelan?s assistants.

He quickly went to bed, and realized it was going to be another restless night.