<USS Avalon> "Pass or Fail"

  • From: CmdrSkyler@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 19:34:11 EST

"Pass or Fail"
Lt. First Class Georgia Lewis
2006:11:27
Class was over and Georgia was extremely  grateful for that. They had just
finished finals and her grade would determine  if she could put MD behind her
name or not. The instructor had already informed  the class that she wouldn't
have the grades until the next day. One more day and  then she would know if it
had all been worth it.

She had done all she could. Studied as  hard as she could, attended all
opportunities for extra credit. She was almost  50% sure she had passed. Still
she
wasn't going to rest on her laurels until she  knew what was going on. Instead
she decided to take this opportunity to try to  clear her mind.

Walking across the quad she noticed that  other students were studying or
just enjoying the warm weather. The warm air  felt good on her face. It
certainly
beat the recycled air in the classrooms. She  realized that different races
had different needs but she sure wished that they  had been able to open the
windows. She took her time walking to her quarters.  She was savoring the
weather. People would look at her as she passed by,  wondering what she was
doing at
the academy but she just let the looks  pass.

Reaching her building she nodded at a few  students as she made her way to
her room. It was a small room, actually a  tad bit smaller than her quarters
had
been on the Avalon. She had made them  do. Anything was worth it, if it got
her back to the Avalon as Dr. Lewis instead  of Nurse Lewis. She couldn't wait
to be free of the academy and able to spend  time with Eliza Mae. She has had
a taste for Pecan Pie and who better to make it  with than your best friend.

The only problem was that Eliza didn't  have a computer system in her home,
so there was no real fast way to contact  her. Still she sat at her desk and
wrote a letter explaining that she would be  visiting in the next few days and
to make sure she had all the ingredients for  Pecan pie available. Pausing she
thought back to the last time the two of them  had made a pie, it had become
an arguing match. Each woman thinking that their  pie was the original.
Finishing the letter she paged a courier  who would deliver it to Tennessee
where Eliza was.

With that out of the way, Georgia took a  quick refreshing shower and changed
into something more comfortable. Now that  she was comfortable she decided to
potatoes, corn and a salad. She also took a  pitcher of iced tea. Gathering her
food she made her way to the quad and a quiet  place to eat.

As she was spreading out her blanket she  was approached by an elderly man
who was dressed in green coverall's. "Ma'am,  you are setting your blanket on
my
freshly planet grass. Can't you see that it  is new grass?"

Chucking Georgia looked at the man who had  to be close to 100 yrs old. "Oh
Boothby why don't you take a chill pill or  something. I'm not hurting your
precious grass. In fact why don't you join me  for dinner. I have more than
enough here."

"Woman I cannot be bribed. You need to  move your blanket immediately. You
are killing the grass."

"I will move only if you join  me."

Boothby sighed, "If that is what it is  going to take to get you off my grass
than so be it. He watched as Georgia  picked up her blanket and moved to a
more appropriate place. At least according  to Boothby. Spreading out the
blanket, again, she sat down and started to set  out the food. She motioned for
Boothby to have a seat.

As the food was laid out, Boothby managed  to find a place to sit. Previewing
the food, he nodded his acceptance of the  repast. He had heard of Georgia's
cooking before she arrived and he was actually  looking forward to the meal.

Holding a piece of chicken in one hand and  a roll in the other Boothby
looked at Georgia. "Aren't you a little old for the  academy? I mean no offense
but
it's not often we get someone your  age."

Laughing Georgia smiled. "No offense  taken. I returned to the academy to
work on finishing my medical degree. The  time seemed appropriate so I took the
opportunity and seized it. Hopefully I  will find out tomorrow if all the work
has been worth it." What if I don't  pass and have to return to the Avalon as
a nurse? Not that there is anything  wrong with being a nurse but I would have
failed in my goal and that is not  acceptable.

Nodding his head, his mouth full of  chicken Boothby looked at Georgia. After
swallowing and taking a drink he  cleared his throat. 'I am sure you will do
just fine. Where do you want to  be assigned once you graduated?"

"That is easy for me to answer. I am  planning to return to the USS Avalon-C.
I have served on the previous two  Avalon's and I intend on serving on the
third one. Admiral Ketchum informed me  before I left that I would always be
welcome back. I have a few good friends on  the Avalon and I miss them
terribly."

"So you know Keith Ketchum? I still  remember him from his time at the
academy. He was constantly running from place  to place, never on time. I am
surprised he even graduated. He did run in the  academy marathon and came in
second.
He would've come in first if he hadn't  fallen over that stupid rock. But that
is another story. Now you tell me he is  an Admiral? The world never ceases
to amaze me."

Laughing at the sight of Keith Ketchum  falling over a rock was more than
Georgia could take. "He is a good man. I'm not  surprised he was promoted to
Admiral. Nor am I surprised that his XO Skyler was  promoted to Captain. She is
part of the reason I am here. I helped to raise her  when her parents were
killed."

"Ah yes. Cadet Skyler. Moody one she was.  Always kept to herself. Never one
to cause trouble like others I know. If I am  not mistaken didn't she graduate
from Starfleet Medical? Now you say she is XO  of the Avalon."

"Yes she started out as CMO and with a lot  of hard work she managed to move
up to XO. She has been fair and had her share  of troubles. She recently found
out she had a sister she didn't know she had. It  caused her all kinds of
problems but in the long run they became friends. Then  she became an Aunt,
which
was a totally new experience for her. Unfortunately  she hasn't had the
chance to become acquainted with her niece as her sister left  the Avalon and
returned to Earth. Any way enough of this reminiscing. It is all  well and
good,
but at times painful." Georgia looked far way as she thought of  Skyler.

Finishing his meal, Boothby stood up.  "Thank you dear lady for the wonderful
meal. I am afraid I must leave and finish  my work. I am sure you did fine on
your exams and that by this time tomorrow you  will be a Doctor."

"Thank you Boothby. I wish I was as  confident as you are. I will deal with
whatever comes. I will be sure to look  you up and let you know the outcome."
Georgia watched as Boothby headed back  across the quad. She remained where she
was and contemplated what she would do  when she got the results.