<USS Avalon> Old Friends--by Sussanna Jameson and Li Vilya

  • From: TKilyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:52:29 EST

Tucking the 2D photo into her jacket pocket, Vilya picked up her personal
PADD and headed for the recreation lounge.  She had intentions of writing to
Ming, who insisted he liked hard copy letters almost as much as live video, and
she was going to draw up a list of things she wanted to talk to Josh and Mac
about.  True, it would have been much quieter in her quarters but, after six
years of teaching part of the survival course, quiet was not longer a necessity
get things done.  Besides, she told herself, this is a lot more sociable.
She nodded to the few people she saw when she entered then took up her favorite
spot, right near the window.

All of Anna's bones and joints ached.  Marksburyâs words had been a small
balm to the pain of the last few days, but the training had been much more
intense than she was used to.  The recreation lounge had been a good idea at
the
time, but Anna was increasingly of the opinion that she should try to get some
sleep.

âPity you don't sleep when you try to,â she moaned under her breath.

Glancing about, she saw it was verging on empty; only a few people scattered
around, chatting in small groups or reading by themselves.  And then a
familiar face caught her eye.  What was she doing on this ship?  Anna headed
straight
for Vilya, her long legs carrying her the distance in a few easy steps.

âVilya?  Well, gâday there, you are a sight for sore eyes,â Anna said.

Vilya looked up sharply at the sound of a familiar voice.  She broke into a
wide smile at the sight of the blonde Human then stood up to give her a quick
hug of greeting.

"Anna!  I didn't know you were on the ship!  I just came aboard at Earth.  I
finally got my first shipboard posting, with the commandant's blessing," she
said brightly.  She noticed Anna flinch a bit at the hug.  "Are you alright?
You seem to be in pain."

âYeah, just a little winded from training today.  Marksburyâs been pushing
hard.  But she laid off a bit tonight, picked her team and I made it!â
Anna's
slightly lilting Australian accent deepened in her fatigue.  âYou wanna
drink?â
 she asked as she settled herself down.  âCoz if you do then I'm gonna have
to move and go get it.â  She sighed but made no move to get up.  âWhat are
you
doing on a ship like this?â

"Oh no, nothing for me but you tell me if you want one and I'll let you rest
those weary bones.  I was just going to draw up a list of some things and
write a letter," Vilya said with a smile.  She recalled that Lieutenant
Marksbury
was second-in-command of Security and nodded.  "Congratulations on getting
picked.  I guess that makes the aches and pains worth it.  As for what am I
doing
here...Commander Kabuki finally decided he could do without me after six
years."

âNice to get out of the academy and into the real world, huh?â  Anna leaned
back and stretched her legs out in front of her.  âI swear six years in that
place was more than enough for me.  You decide to see the galaxy too?  But I
like it here, its a nice ship to be on, always something going on.  And the
people, they are just so nice...â  She frowned.  âExcept the bitch I live
with,
she's totally nuts.â  She smiled again as something occurred to her.
âDâyou
remember Phil?  What an idiot!  He was in your class and he was my roomy,
that's how we met.  My God, I cant believe I forgot about him.â

"I wanted a ship post after graduation but the commandant wanted me there to
teach instead and I'm sort of glad.  It was worth the wait," Vilya told her
then she smiled at the name she brought up.  "Maybe you forgot about him
because
you wanted to.  But, you're right, though.  The few people I've gotten to
really talk to are great.  I actually sat down and had tea with a Cardassian
lady, Kaera.  She's really lovely.  Then, there are a pair of my fellow
engineers,
Josh and Mac--have you met them?  They gave Ming and I a tour before he had
to go home."

âDâyou finally marry a priest then?  Hah, I knew all you religious types
attract each other.â  At her companionâs slightly puzzled look, Anna added,
âNot
that I have a problem with religion, just never found it as helpful as some.â
 Her weariness was catching up with her and she realised sheâd been talking
to her old friend for quite a while.  âLook, sorry about this, but I gotta go
get some sleep, we got more training tomorrow.  You know what they say: no rest
for the wicked!â

Vilya shook her head as her friend stood up to leave.  Joining her, she took
hold of her elbow lightly, careful not to touch what might be sore.  She took
the picture out of her jacket and showed it to her.  "Close enough.  He's not
quite a priest but he is what his group calls a reverend.  I'll tell you all
about the mad whirlwind courtship later, though.  Go to bed and rest up."

âThanks, Iâve got to sleep, maybe we can catch up later?  Iâd like to
chat
again, I think Iâm going to need someone to talk to from time to time.â
With
that the two women wove their way out of the lounge and back to their rooms.