<USS Avalon> "My Heart Leads Me Astray" Pt. 2

  • From: "Brad Ruder" <GroundZero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:19:54 -0800

?My Heart Leads Me Astray? ? Part Two
by Ensign Evan Benevente

She had accepted.

He?d marry the woman of his dreams and he?d graduated nearly top in his class. Evan was jazzed and he hadn?t ever experienced something of this magnitude. Michelle caught the transport home, eager to tell her folks, and Evan agreed to meet up with her in about a week and a half on Ockum III. He had an obligation to go home and talk with his family and await his assignment. Evan was hoping it would take him someplace near her; he figured that, more than likely, they would be living on Ockum III.

With his bags packed he notified North American Transport control, or NATC, and they transported him the some eight hundred miles to his parents? house. Evan?s mom, being the cook, had baked a four-layer cake. Evan?s dad was sitting on the couch and was watching a Hoverball tournament ? if there was someone that was the most addicted, Evan?s dad was it. He had gotten hooked when his brother had bought tickets and took him to a tournament in Seattle. It was a hobby now, but he wouldn?t go out and play with either Evan or his brother.

?Hey guys,? Evan said as he materialized in front of his parents.

?Honey!? His mom ran up to him, nearly knocking his bags to the floor. She snatched them up and carried them to his room. She came back and hugged him again, ?How did you do in your class? I am sorry we couldn?t make it to the ceremony, your father had a Hoverball tournament to go and see in India.?

?It was Egypt! It was great too, Jungan beat Yi in three games, and Yi didn?t even score a point. It was a first in Hoverball history ? and I was there to see it firsthand. This is the greatest sport ever created.? His dad, Tyler, said as he turned around and faced his son, his mom glared at him, ?Good to see you, son.?

?Thanks dad, the feeling is mutual.? Evan smiled and patted his father?s back as he received the same in return. Walking into the kitchen, followed by his mother, Evan snagged a cup that his mother had replicated for him. ?When will Elijah and Kontra be here? I have an announcement to make.?

?Announcement?? His mother stared at him over her cup of coffee. ?Elijah is at Starfleet Medical currently, he is a member of the SERT. Starfleet Emergency Response Team. He should be over tomorrow morning; Kontra is on Mars surveying a meteor that impacted the surface a couple of months ago. She?s heading home in the morning, should be home within the evening hours.?

?Great, it can wait.? He said as he gazed at his father, so adamant about watching his tournament. It was like Evan wasn?t even there. ?How is dad doing? He seems more spaced out than when I was here at Christmas.?

His mother sighed and then crossed to the replicator to recycle her glass. She turned to Evan, a look of concern and stress littering her facial features, ?He tries Evan. The doctors can?t do anything; the virus keeps attacking his cerebral cortex. He takes his medication like he should, but other than that he can?t do anything. The doctors say a year at most, Evan, I don?t know what to do?? Her voice trailed as she raised her hand to cover her mouth. His mother, being only sixty, had traces of personality of a twenty-year-old.

Her hair, though mostly gray, still showed some traces of a brown color. Her wrinkles really didn?t show at all. She was still as ambitious when she was younger, and she was still the mom that he had admired since he was young. She was the epitome of strength and love, but she had her moments of emotional turmoil. Evan tired futilely, but there wasn?t anything to do but wait until she crawled out of her emotional pit.

Evan walked over to her and put his arms around her, ?Mom, there isn?t anything to do. I am going someplace this weekend. If Elijah and Kontra want to, along with you and Dad, you can come with me to Ockum III. Michelle?s parents invited me, and whoever I wanted, to come and visit them.?

?That would be great, Ockum is covered in water, maybe that would help his condition!?

?It?s worth a shot, and Michelle?s dad is in the medical field ? neurology to be exact. Maybe he has come across what Dad has, I can talk to him about it.? Evan watched as his mother?s demeanor brightened and her hopes increased. He?d aided in her climb from the depths.

?Why don?t you go and watch the tournament with your father? I will make dinner. How does spaghetti and meatballs sound? I know that it?s your favorite.? She said as she half-shoved half-walked Evan out of the kitchen.

Smiling that smile, he looked at her over his shoulder, ?Sounds great mom, and then again everything you make is my favorite.? He walked over and sat next to his father. Being in his mid-sixties he was still mentally there, but he also seemed distracted more than most. Evan sat down and put his feet up on the coffee table. ?So, Dad, who?s winning??

Tyler, seeming disgruntled that his son had interrupted his tournament, turned to the young man. ?Ogden is up two games to one over Trex. I?ll tell you this is an Earth sport. The Bolians don?t have any right to play ? we kick their ass every time.?

?I don?t know Dad, Trex is ranked fourth. Ogden has seventh. Although, I would bet on Ivenson to take the tourney title.? Evan grabbed a handful of popcorn that his dad had made, it was his favorite food and he ate it constantly.

His father looked at him with a perked eyebrow. ?Ivenson? He?s ranked ninth, down three games to the leader, Jungan. I?d put more of my eggs in the basket of Yi. He has the strength and the speed, Jungan is just keeping first place warm for him.?

Evan couldn?t help but laugh, ?Yi? He got slaughtered by Jungan in Egypt. Dad, you were there. After that do you really think that Yi has any shot at all??

?Yes, I do. The underdog, Evan, the underdog. I didn?t think that you would win the Parrises Squares tournament of 2372, but you did.? Somehow Evan didn?t take the lack of confidence his father exhibited for his skills personally, ?Beat all the teenagers in your group. I was impressed.?

Sighing, Evan remembered the good old days. ?Yeah, and I got a tour of the Enterprise. It was sweet, and I got to eat dinner with Counselor Troi; she was so good looking.?

?Still is?? Tyler said when Evan?s mother walked in. She smacked him across the back of the head.

?Don?t be thinking about any woman but me, you hear me Tyler?? She set down the plates of spaghetti, they were steaming and they looked delicious.

?Sorry dear, I?ll remember next time. Evan, Yi has the ability to win. Jungan holds first, Goodfellow in second, Yi places third, Trex defends fourth, Bitler is injured in fifth, Quonin is good in sixth, Ogden holds seventh, Monta in eighth, and Ivenson is in ninth??

?Dad, I am aware of the standings, but Yi doesn?t stand a chance.?

?Where do you think you?ll get posted?? His dad changed the subject when he realized he was fighting a losing battle with his ever-zealous son. Arguments didn?t seem to go far in the Benevente home. They just seemed to get put on the back burner for a more important subject ? like Evan?s next assignment.

Evan smiled, but hesitated. He really didn?t want to bring up his posting assignment; Starfleet wasn?t in the house at the moment ? why?d they have to talk about it? ?I would like to be posted on board the Appalachia with Captain Tobias Strong. The Orion, under Spryer, would also be favorable.?

?Good, you?re going places Evan, I can feel it.? His dad grabbed a handful of popcorn, completely ignoring his wife?s spaghetti.

On the imager, Trex shot one past Ogden and won the fourth game ? tying the scores up. Evan stood up and shouted in excitement because that is what he liked to see happen. His dad looked at him as the final round started. Evan smiled a sheepish smile as his dad shook his head, obviously disapprovingly, and took a handful of popcorn himself.

Two unexpected visitors came in. Elijah, Evan?s brother, and his wife Kontra materialized in front of the imager. Not liking the distraction from the game, Tyler threw popcorn at them and they moved.
There was only one rule when coming into the Benevente household ? never hold up or block the view of the hoverball tournament.

?Good to see you, little brother.? The two brothers shook hands and it was pulled into a hug. Evan kissed Kontra on the cheek and sat back down next to his father who was completely consumed with the game to pay any attention to anyone else.

Evan?s grin grew and would?ve enclosed his head if not for the natural barriers of his skin. ?Good, big bro, graduated seventy-two in the class total of fourteen hundred and thirty-one. Not too shabby, and I?m awaiting my assignment on any ship that will take me.?

?Good luck.? His brother elbowed him in the ribs and sat down, Kontra sat on her husband?s lap. She was five foot four inches, and had a small build. Everyone called her ?Ko? because she hated Kontra. Elijah, nearing twenty-six years of age, had a slightly more muscular build than Evan, but Elijah showed it off more. The only time Evan showed it off was with Michelle, other than that Evan kept his body to himself.

?How is Starfleet Medical?? Evan asked his brother.

?We are testing a new treatment to aid in the elimination of the Tarkalian Flu. It takes the virus and basically makes it self-destruct; in a way it makes it attack itself. It coats the viruses with a film that makes it appear as a target cell to the other viruses of the body. It is very promising.? He said as he bounced his legs ? Ko bounced with it.

?And what about the SSG (Starfleet Surveyors Guild), Ko? I am sure that the meteor was very exciting.? Evan said with a sarcastic voice as he ate his spaghetti. His mother remained silent on the other side of the Room, eating hers.

?Good, and it was exciting Evan. It had organic properties and trace elements of Carbon Dioxide.?

?Living rock??

?It?s definitely a possibility.?

?All right, now that?s exciting.?

Trex scored the final point, winning the bout. With Yi losing to Jungan, Trex took third, and Yi dropped into fourth. ?Damn!? Tyler yelled in frustration.

?Cool it, Dad.? Elijah said as Ko slid off his lap and onto the cushion next to him.

Evan stood up and turned off the imager and his parents stared at him, along with his brother and his brother?s beautiful wife. ?Guys, I have an announcement. Michelle went back to Ockum III because she couldn?t stand it away anymore. She was a valedictorian at graduation, but she needed to be home. Although her accomplishment was commendable, she?s decided that she can?t stay away from home.?

His mother began to cry, she knew what he was going to say; his father consoled him. ?I asked her to marry me, and she said yes.? Evan?s mother stood to her feet and she rushed towards him, hugging him. Elijah stood up and shook his hand, pulling it into a hug once again. Ko kissed him on the cheek and his dad gave him a big hug.

?My boy is getting married; where, when, who is invited?? Evan?s dad asked in a tone that only a longtime father could.

?We haven?t decided, but we agreed on a small wedding, immediate family only. Probably taking place on Ockum III. Next week sometime.?

His father looked at him, followed by his mother, his brother, and his sister-in-law. ?Ockum III?? Tyler sat down and stared at Evan with a look of scorn. ?All the Beneventes have been married to their counterparts on Breyer?s Ridge; it is almost a ritual.?

?Dad, these are new times. Michelle doesn?t want to come back to Earth, bad memories she says. I figured that I would go there, and you can all come.? Evan walked over and put his arm on Elijah?s shoulder. He really didn?t want to anger his father, but this was something that Evan refused to give into. He knew, even from being a little child that he didn?t want to follow some stupid tradition. No, Evan had remembered thinking; I?m doing what I want to do.

?Absolutely not. I will not condone something that goes against everything that the Beneventes stand for. I forbid you to be married on Ockum III.?

Elyse rose and walked to her husband, putting her hands on his shoulders. ?Tyler, breathe would you? Let him go??

?Never.?

He couldn?t help but stand, his teeth were gritted and his eyes showed just how livid he really was, ?Dad, with all due respect you can?t control what I do. If I want to marry Michelle on Ockum III, then I will. You can?t stop me?? Evan grabbed his stuff out of the room down the hall and walked towards the door.

?I am not finished with you, young man?? Tyler stood to his feet and glared at his departing son.

?Tyler??

?Shut up, Elyse!? Evan?s father, almost to the brink, said and Evan?s caring mother burst into tears. Ko consoled the sobbing woman as Elijah stepped up and stood between my Evan and his brooding father. Evan couldn?t gauge whether or not his older brother was on his side or his father?s side. ?Move Elijah. This is between Evan and I.?

Elijah shook his head, ?No, Dad. This isn?t the place for this.?

?See what you did!? My father screamed as he tried to brush past Evan?s brother. Elijah grabbed him and pushed him back a little, throwing a look of horror across his father?s face. Evan and Elijah, even as children, never did anything offensive towards their father.

?What I did? You?re crazy; I?ll stay over at Eric?s house. Once you have the ability to think rationally, talk to me maturely, and realize that there isn?t anything you can do and want to help me, contact me.? The newly commissioned ensign said as he walked from the room.

Evan walked down the corridor and out into the crisp Oregon air. He tapped his communications badge and contacted NATC, and was sent to Eric?s front door as he?d remembered doing so many times throughout his youth. After a warm welcome and after he was set up in the guest quarters, he anxiously contacted Michelle.

Michelle answered the comlink and began speaking to Evan as if they had just finished talking a moment before and she had forgotten something. ?Good to see you, how are you doing??

?Fine, had a fight with my father, I didn?t get his blessing of our marriage. I sent a secret comlink to my brother; hopefully he and Ko will make it to the ceremony. How about eight days from now? On a cliff looking out over the water? Does that sound good to you??

She looked at him oddly, ?Of course, but your parents won?t be there, will they??

?No, they won?t. My father is so stubborn; he is so worried about rituals and all that other rubbish. Times have changed, we no longer have to follow those crazy fables and I don?t want to do it anyway.?

?Well, get here then. I have analyzed the Federation starship flight patterns. I found that the USS Montana will be coming into the Earth?s atmosphere tomorrow morning. It will head back to Deep Space
7. You can catch the USS Xavier back to Ockum III. It is making a supply run. Get packed and ready, see you then?? The comlink blacked out before Evan had a chance to open his mouth and respond. Evan shrugged; USS Montana was on his destination list.

******************

The next day he transported onto the USS Montana. Evan took her to Deep Space 7, which took roughly nine hours. Once upon Deep Space 7, he was moved over to the Xavier and they headed to Ockum III. Once in orbit, Evan went into the atmosphere with a friend that he?d known for quite some time ? a friend from the academy. They beamed down the cargo that was being carried in their bowels, but a severe weather storm had disrupted the transporters and the heavy lightning didn?t allow for a human transport.

?Shields holding, and we have entered the upper troposphere.? Lieutenant Jason Ulner was piloting, and quite well Evan observed. Evan was at a tactical, for some unknown reason he guessed. They entered the clouds and were rocked several times by lightning and Evan was beginning to feel a bit uneasy about transcending through the violent storm.

?Shields holding at 93%? Evan tapped the console and analyzed the polarity of the clouds, but it wouldn?t be enough to predict any lightning bolts, ?that did a significant amount of damage considering it was only lightning.?

?Ockum III?s oceans and the binary suns have increased the static-electric charge of the bolts, protocol on the surface calls for everyone to stay inside during storms.? Ulner said as he lowered the ship even further. Evan was glad, at least, that he wasn?t at the controls otherwise he?d probably already been reduced to charred particles by now.

The ship was rocked several times more, almost throwing Evan from his chair. The bolts became more and more frequent. The ship rocked more and more violently. He held his console as he saw Ulner?s figure weave from side to side. ?Shields holding at 55%?

?Damn it, we aren?t even halfway down and we have lost half of our shields.?

Another blast rocked the hull and fizzled a little bit, ?Shields are frying at 29%.? Evan was becoming a bit more alert to the situation and the adrenaline began to pump, ?We?re going to get blown up??

?Federation Shuttlecraft Gryphon to Ockum III Command.?

A shrill voice came over the audio and responded, ?Welcome to Ockum III, how can we be of assistance?? Ulner cut him off.

?The storm has damaged our shields, we need an emergency beam out!?

There was a pause, ?Gryphon, you are out of range of our targeting scanners. In two minutes you will be in range, hold tight??

Evan couldn?t take it anymore and screamed into the communications terminal, ?In two minutes we are going to be roasted into complete oblivion! I don?t want to be turned into some sort of crispy critter!? Another shot rocked the hull, ?11%!?

Ulner piloted the shuttlecraft towards the sea below, increasing to full impulse and angling the ship towards the shore. ?Ockum Command, we could sure use something here. Anything??

The shields failed and a lightning bolt ripped the port nacelle off the craft. It sputtered into the ocean and exploded, plasma flying everywhere. The ship shook violently and Evan saw the cockpit ahead of him fizzle and disappear. The craft was lost and veered downward sharply, listing to the port side because of no thrust. It finally gave way and exploded into the waters as they capped. It glowed for a moment before the ship settled into darkness for the rest of eternity.

Evan rematerialized into a room with very little lighting, Ulner was with him and he saw Magistrate Icken Bar of the Ockum III Federation colony. Ockum III was on the edge of Cardassian space and the world was considered to be on the fringe of action. The Maquis and the Cardassians had been fighting endlessly. The Cardassians accused the people of Ockum III of aiding the Maquis, but that was like threatening the Federation for the same crime. A shield bubble had been erected around the planet to prevent unwanted attacks and unauthorized transports.

The magistrate looked at Evan with an almost uncaring glance, ?Welcome to Ockum III, I hope your trip here was as enjoyable as possible, and I hope your stay is equally, if not better, than that of your arrival.?

Evan looked at Ulner and he smiled and shook his head, he shook the magistrate?s hand, ?I hope not, but thanks anyway??